Even if the origins of the company
date back to 1926 with the foundation of the "Société
Landaise de Produits Chimiques" which was producing at the
time charcoal, tar and pyroligneous from the Landes' pine trees,
it was only in 1933 that the "Manufacture Landaise de Produits
Chimiques" (MLPC) has been created. Decision has been taken
in 1998 to change its name into "MLPC International".
1944 saw the first listing of
the company's share on the stock exchange. As early as
International started developing industrial paints from light oils,
then rosin oils. The first synthetic products for the rubber industry
started to be manufactured in 1949.
In 1955, since the facilities
operated in the main production site turned out to be too small,
a brand new plant was built in Lesgor, 12 km away from Rion des
Landes. 1966 saw the shutdown of the carbonization activity which
was quickly off-set by the launching of chemical products (thioureas)
for the rubber industry. Actually, in 1995, MLPC International
purchased the carbazides activity from the German company Degussa
and started, in 2000, a new masterbatch production unit.
Already shareholder of MLPC International as far back as 1984, Elf Atochem, (now Arkema group) became the company' main shareholder (67,2 %) in 1989. Since June 2005, MLPC International is a fully-integrated Arkema group facility.